Welcome to the ISLS 2022 Online Event
As an ISLS 2022 attendee, you will interact with your fellow researchers before, during and after the event. We will use the online event platforms Whova and Gather.Town in order to create this new experience—an online event—keeping as much of what you love about conferences: interaction with your peers, meeting new people with common interests, having lively discussions and generating new ideas for your research.
Zoom will be used to livestream all general sessions of the conference, while Gather.Town will be used for live, interactive events such as poster sessions, interactive tools and demos, and many social events. Each general session as well as the presentations will have individual Zoom links which will you will access from within Whova.
Whova Online Event Platform
Whova will allow attendees to access the program and interact with the speakers and organizers:
- View the conference Agenda and plan your schedule
- Access Livestreams* and Videos directly within sessions and use the session Q&A
- Set up Virtual Meet-Ups with your fellow attendees to connect remotely
- Create and converse through various discussion topics in the Community Board
*Closed Captioning will be turned on for all paper sessions and can be turned off by attendees if they wish.
- Event page URL: https://whova.com/portal/webapp/islsa_202206
- Code of Conduct: We invite you to join the ISLS 2022 event in a spirit of curiosity, friendliness, open-mindedness, and respect – https://2022.isls.org/code-of-conduct
- When signing in, ensure the email address matches the one that you used when registering for ISLS Annual Meeting 2022
- We recommend using Google Chrome or Brave as your browser for accessing the web version of Whova
Join us in the Virtual Conference Venue
Social events have been an important part of all previous ISLS conferences. This year, several programs and social events will take place in the Virtual Conference Venue. We plan to have poster sessions, IT & Demos, symposia as structured poster sessions, and mentoring workshops in the Virtual Conference Venue. We invite you to explore the Virtual Conference Venue and to interact with colleagues and friends.
The Virtual Conference Venue exists within Gather.Town, a 2D Virtual Space in which you can see yourself and others in a virtual “room” with the ability to move around and interact with other participants to allow for real-life like situations and interactions. Users can easily start and end conversations and chats or return to a main speaker just like at a real-world conference. You can simply walk your avatar to tables and chairs, sit down and start a conversation with other attendees.
Gather.town will allow attendees to better interact with each other in the poster sessions and at the social events, as well as between the general sessions:
- The “Conference Venue” has several rooms for the Poster Sessions, Structured Symposia, as well as less formal gatherings in its virtual space.
- You may gather here between sessions if you would like to continue the discussion — make plans to meet at Gather when the session closes.
- Here we will also host social events such as the New Member Session, Meet the Editors, the Committee Spotlights, the Early Career Spotlights, the Student Party, and the NAPLeS Open House & After Hours.
We welcome you to familiarize yourself with this year’s conference format:
- Paper Sessions: Paper sessions are organized as multi-track sessions and include full and short paper presentations, symposia, as well as interactive tools & demo sessions. At ISLS 2022, full and short paper presentations will be organized in thematic CSCL, ICLS, and mixed paper sessions. All paper sessions will be recorded and made available (with closed captioning) for conference attendees up until three months after the event.
- Poster Sessions: Poster sessions and Symposia proposed as structured poster sessions will be available in Gather.Town. Poster presenters who would like to share their research highlights and short videos can upload them in Whova.
ISLS 2022 will offer a variety of social events:
- New Member Session: We welcome all ISLS conference first-timers and Learning Sciences community newcomers to the new member session! In this session, the ISLS Membership Committee will outline getting the most out of the annual meeting and you will have the opportunity to meet some mentors in the LS community. In the latter half of the session, some participants will present and exchange ideas regarding their posters.
- Meet the Editors: We have several journals sponsored by or related to the Learning Sciences community. The journal editors from the Journal of Learning Analytics, the Journal of the Learning Sciences (JLS), ijCSCL, Instructional Science, and Information and Learning Sciences will introduce their journals and you will have the opportunity to interact with the editors.
- Committee Spotlights: Each ISLS Committee Chair will introduce its committee and explain its activities related to enhancing and improving the Learning Sciences community. You will have the opportunity to join and contribute to this vibrant community.
- Early Career Spotlights: We will spotlight a variety of promising early career scholars in this session followed by the opportunity to engage with them.
- Student Research Crossover & Networking Party: The ILSSA (International Learning Sciences Student Association) will host a fun event involving games and connecting with peers with similar interests. They invite students to join them for networking and to share and discuss your interests with peers. At the session, you’ll have a chance to meet other student attendees. They will provide space and time to connect with other students with similar interests (e.g., STEM education, methodologies, equity and social justice, being a graduate student, academic writing, wellness). They’ll also have games and space to hang-out. No preparation required. Just come hang out and meet fellow students!
- NAPLeS Open House: The Network of Academic Programs in the Learning Sciences (NAPLeS) is a network of Ph.D. and Master’s programs in the Learning Sciences. Our Education Committee will host an interactive session with a variety of participants who are interested in joining the educational NAPLeS program.
- Japanese “Radio Taisou” Exercise and Cultural Events will be offered throughout the annual meeting.
ISLS 2022 will become accessible mid-May through Whova
May 30, 2022—Poster Presenters set up their Virtual Poster Exhibits in Whova
May 30, 2022—All Attendees receive an email to sign up & set up their profiles in Whova
May 30–June 5, 2022—Pre-Conference Workshops & Mentoring Workshops take place in Gather.Town and via Zoom
June 6, 2022—First day ISLS Annual Meeting